Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Donut Box - First Donut



 This is where I'm going to wet my writing feet, so with lots of nail biting and agonizing I bring you.....

First Donut

I was born in small house that had been converted into a hospital in Cambridge, New York, 51 years ago.  My mother was quite ill after my birth and had to stay in hospital for several weeks.  I was three weeks old and as yet unnamed when my father visited with a box of doughnuts.  They were plain, sugar coated doughnuts.  The brand name on the box was Nancy Lynne, and my name was born.

Now I'll confess, being named after a box of doughnuts was better then  a box of bullets or corks maybe but my siblings all received important family names that had been carefully chosen to reflect the generations on both sides.  Other than the odd yeast infection I'm pretty sure I have no genetic connection to doughnuts at all.  I don't even like them all that much!

So, what's in a name?  Maybe nothing, except that I did end up the black swan of the family, leaving  home quite young and pouring all the angst and confusion into that rotten box.

By the time I hit my late teens I'd mostly gotten over it.  Mostly.  When I was 20 my parents and I had an attempt at reconciliation which ended with me jumping ship in Australia, the box of doughnuts left drifting in the waves.  

Mom died when I was 27.  My response was to start signing all my artwork "Donuts".  I finally owned the box, and all it's contents.

Written by Donuts   http://apatchyplace.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment