Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I'd Recommend Vintage


Marc Jacobs once said “Fashion is about falling in love over and over again, usually with someone new” but in this case its with something old. The 1950s to be exact. Clean, cut, conservative and with a preppy edge straight from the Ivy Leagues themselves.

What I love about wearing my grandfather’s vintage pieces is the story behind them. The history of a person’s life and character. His ocean blue round neck jumper reminds me of Christmas’ gone by. Sitting in front of a warm fire, sleeves rolled up, drink in hand. His ivory cable knit sweater, handmade by his loving wife showcases months of hard work and devotion for an almost perfect finished product. His brown worn leather messenger bag with a broken clasp tells the tale of a man who worked long after retirement. Now used to transport the possessions of the future generation’s working man. Namely me.

Pride and admiration are the main feelings generated when I don his brown tweed blazer worn almost every time he taught a class at his favorite University. Although I doubt he would be too pleased to know that I roll the sleeves, opting to add a blue denim shirt underneath. Sorry Gramps. I can hear the trademark tut already, followed by ‘Don’t roll those sleeves’ and ‘Catch yourself on.’ A legacy I’m sure will follow suit by the time I reach my sixties. For now, I will be content in carrying on his lineage in a variety of shades, shapes and styles that I will not be letting go of anytime soon. Moreover, neither should you.


So the next time you feel like taking yourself on a trip to your local high-street. Stop. Turn around and look through your relatives’ closets. Alternatively, hop on a bus/tube/air balloon and find your nearest vintage fair. If not to purchase, simply to browse, discuss and learn of all the amazing stories and individuals one rustic standout item of clothing is sure to hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment