Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I wrestled an Anaconda in my garden today


Green Anaconda Photo: Ltshears

It was 20 feet long--green, sinuous and slippery.

I was pulling it down from the lamp post at the end of my driveway when suddenly it wound around my ankles, and then coiled up to my waist. I tried to grip it to get some control, but it kept sliding through my hands. We struggled for what seemed like hours and I was panting, sweaty and wondering how much longer I could last. Luckily I had my pruners in my pocket and I was finally able to subdue it.

I'm not sure what the turning point was in the fight, but I think it caught sight of the label on the front of my tall rubber boots--Hunter--and that weakened its will.

This 20 foot garden terror has the Latin name of Hedera helix.

It's English ivy.

Once it gave up I crammed it in the yard waste container and slammed down the lid. We're due for a yard waste pick-up in a few days, but I wish it were sooner. I hear thumping from inside the container.


To leave a comment, click on the word COMMENTS below

For a free email subscription to this blog go to the upper-right corner of the page

No comments:

Post a Comment