Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Feel Like A Rabbit + Work In Progress

Hello Dumplings!*
I have rabbit energy these days--you know, feeling skittish, scamppery and on the anxious side. Feeling the overwhelming shaky sense of "OH-MY-GOSH-DON'T-EAT-ME!", as if something big will swoop down and gobble me up for lunch at any moment. "Gah! What was that?!" I'm unsure of where the rabbitiness is stemming from. Possibly my giant and growing list of "To Do's" before the end of semester, new moon configuration, maybe contamination from 10,000 other tense over-caffeinated kids on campus feeling the same sort of panic I am, or is something in retrograde? The news? Seasonal shift? City water perhaps? Whatever it is, I'm doing my damnedest to funnel these weird jitters into making work. Here's what the paws have been up to:

Reference photo for a self portrait I'm working on

"Shrine for Isis" based on a portrait of my Mum.

This "Aphrodite" shrine is still in progress. I plan to pimp out the frame using deconstructed costume jewelry and other sparkly bits in true balls-to-the-wall Liberace fashion. She'll also be illuminated from the inside with pink rope light. I also plan to work into the background to really build up the surface to a more textural peachy surface as opposed to the Mary Kay pink she is now. She'll get there, slowly but surely...


A quick experimental immersed drawing of Venus based on her birth myth "Born of The Sea". Right now I'm enjoying her rather voluptuous bedonkadonk. Unsure how I feel about this as a whole, but it's just an experiment--and you don't have to like experiements. We'll see if she develops into anything further...

A portrait of the queen based on Lucian Freud's masterwork. I love that he gives each of his sitters an undeniable five o'clock shadow...


A self portrait for Figure Painting influenced by Caravaggio if only in wardrobe and cheeky pose choices...


I call this portrait piece, " Hipster Douchebag Profile Pic"...


A moody portrait of my sister Anna wailing on her bass...

"Two Marys" a quick in class figure study.

More paintings and Mayhem to come! In the mean time I plan to slay To Do lists and attempt to rid myself of the rodent vibes. Now my dears, What have you been doing with your creative energies?

Until Next Time--
Much Joy and Merry Making!


No comments:

Post a Comment