Sunday, November 21, 2010

FOOD - A FANTASY IN THE FUTURE?

                                Can We Eat Coal For Breakfast?...NO. Gouache on paper 30 x 42 cm

                                         Value Gouache on paper 30 x 42 cm

These two new works on paper are a continuation of my interest in water. Regular readers will know very well of this intense interest. Please have a look at this previous post, which also has links to other earlier posts http://kathrynbrimblecombeart.blogspot.com/2010/11/murray-darling-currency.html

Can We Eat Coal For Breakfast?...NO was inspired by a number of things, but two are significant. The first is that about 2-3 years ago I took my youngest child out to Dalby, where I grew up. She had never seen where I came from and I thought it would be a great mother/daughter pilgrimage. On the drive out to Dalby, and as we got closer, I could not get over the number of mounds of coal. In fact, I must have had my head buried in the sand, because up until then, I had not realised the extent and growth of the mining industry in the region. Since that trip open cut mining's  burgeoning partner ie: Coal Seam Gas is also changing the landscape, both externally and internally [underground aquifers].

In the painting Can We Eat Coal For Breakfast?...NO, the two mounds, painted with small dark $ signs, represent coal mounds. The red $ signs underground signify the potency of the soil and the environmental dilemmas confronting citizens of the planet. The white layer on top of the soil and underneath the mounds alludes to the disastrous potential of soil salinization.

The second significant influence for this painting, and its title, was hearing about a grass roots action group called Coal4Breakfast http://coal4breakfast.com.au/index.htm Here's the 'about' page http://coal4breakfast.com.au/page6.htm Haystack Rd is not that far from where I grew up on my parent's grain farm.

Now to Value which speaks of how we value our land. Soil is not something we should compromise in any form. For me, risking soil quality, should not ever be considered...even a small risk. Soil quality underpins food production, not only now, but into the future, both foreseeable and not foreseeable. Compromising our soils diminishes the quality and amount of produce.

BUT...HEY...in the future...if we don't have food we can always come up with some kind of alternative...pills, intravenous drips, nanobot internal distributors we replenish once a year! Oh what fun... replays of Masterchef will seem like fantasies as our great and great-great grandchildren ask their parents , 'What are those people doing?' ....'Cooking? What's that?'

PUBLIC FORUM
Tonight [Monday 22 Nov] there is a public forum at the University of Queensland 'Environmental Implications of Coal Seam Gas and Coal-to-Liquids Projects'
http://uqcfc.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/acf-csg-forum-flyer.pdf  The list of speakers looks impressive.

CHRISTMAS IDEAS
If you are looking for a special present for someone for Christmas [or for any reason actually!] please check out my 'gallery' of suggestions [a range of prices!] :

http://www.visualartist.info/visualartist/artist/subpage.asp?ex=gallery&I=1690&sub=5444&artistId=1292&PageId=1690

MY CV
And...today as I was writing an application for something, I needed to make a reference to my online CV. That made me think I should highlight it as a link on my BLOG...so here it is.
http://www.visualartist.info/visualartist/artist/subpage.asp?ex=cv&I=1691&artistId=1292&PageId=1691

Cheers,
Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment